dog at pets in the city hawaii

We all want a safe home for our loved ones and that includes our pets! Here are some common household products you may want to be sure are in a safe place, out of reach of your pets.

Pest-control products

These usually aren’t a problem until the snow melts. For example, it’s not a good idea to treat the grass in your backyard with any pest control products toxic to dogs, since many dogs will eat the grass in your yard on occasion. The same goes for ant or insect poison and mouse traps with that tasty cheese.


The antifreeze (or radiator coolant) you store in your garage can be very dangerous, actually causing fatal kidney failure. Ethylene glycol, a component of antifreeze, has a sweet taste that a dog might find attractive.

Cocoa Powder (Chocolate, coffee or caffeine)

If you are a diehard baker or cook, you’re probably familiar with this. Though no form of chocolate is good for dogs, even a very small amount of cocoa powder can be fatal for any dog. If you insist on storing this ingredient, make sure it is somewhere your little one can’t reach!

Other Dangerous Foods


Grapes, Wine, Raisins


Macadamia Nuts (and any other choking hazard)




Chicken Bones (& any cooked bones)

Xylitol (artificial sweetener)

Yeast dough

Electrical Cords

These pose a greater danger to puppies, eager to chew on absolutely anything they can find (as any puppy owner has realized), but even adult dogs suffering from episodes of anxiety might decide to chomp down on those chewy cords nearby. The danger here is obvious; potential burns can be fatal. If you care for puppies or kittens, make sure to hide those cords somewhere out of reach!

Toilet Cleaner (or any household chemical)

Most dog owners have noticed their pups drinking from the toilet if their water bowls run dry, though we usually try and discourage the behavior. This can seem disgusting to humans, but it’s just another water source to dogs.

Add chemical cleaners, however, and it has now become extremely dangerous. Most people don’t think of this, but make sure the lid stays shut if you are using any kind of cleaning agent!


No one can argue the visual appeal a nice touch of deep green or added color adds to the home, but unfortunately for pet owners, our pets will sometimes see those plants as a tasty treat, if not at least something to chew on. Many common household plants can be toxic to our pets.

If you keep plants in your home, take a minute and look here to find out if they are pet-safe!

Needles (or anything sharp)

Anywhere from medicinal needles, sewing needles, safety pins, or even push pins can seem like a wonderfully tempting chew toy to our little ones! However, outside of the obvious choking hazard they present, the tiny sharp, pointed metal can poke holes anywhere along the digestive tract if successfully swallowed, creating a very serious medical emergency.

Tin Can Lids

Some of us simply throw cans away after using them, but many of us like to recycle. Recyclers often keep some sort of bin somewhere in their home, accessible until the recycling day.

Those tin can lids can seem to be a very tempting chew toy but are sharp enough to seriously cut into a dog’s mouth. If you do recycle, remember to put this ‘bin’ somewhere the dog can’t get at it or consider simply throwing anything sharp in the trash.

Plastic Bags

Not only does plastic become a big problem if swallowed, but puppies or kittens trying to get that last bit of food within can also get their little heads stuck inside, making suffocation a very real danger!

Keep your pets in mind when you clean your home this spring! Happy Cleaning!!